Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Half Frame Cameras


I recently found a Konica EYE half frame camera at a garage sale. It had found its way into the "free" pile and being unable to resist 1: cameras and 2: free stuff, I ended up with it in my bag. It's a weird piece, very few adjustments or settings and it takes two pictures per traditional film frame. But it's not without faults. The roll of 24 I put into the camera should have yielded 48 vertical format images but instead I ended up with about half that. I thought I was being gentle with what I expected from it exposure wise, shooting mostly in bright light, holding the camera exceptionally steady, avoiding moving subject matter, but it would seem only about half of what I pointed it at was exposed properly. This would include the image above which is actually two images, not necessarily panned either, I'm certain they wouldn't collage together if I could remove the black bar between exposures. They do twin up nicely and they are one of the few good exposures I got from the camera. It will be hard to rationalize putting another roll of film into the camera but I'm glad I did it this one.

There's this one too, I suppose.



You don't have a lot of say about what pictures end up beside each other in the processing and scanning. I mean, yes, I define the order in which the pictures are taken but the juxtaposition of one against another is pretty much a 50/50 affair. Yet, the groupings of the few images that did work out are pretty spot on. I like these two images beside one another. It's good they weren't separated during scanning.

No comments: